Sunday, July 24, 2016

July 23 Day 34

Day 34. Canon City to Fowler Colorado.  93 miles

Left 6 miles outside of canon city at 5:40 am to nearly 70 degrees but quickly made my way into the city.  Then turned onto highway 115 to Florence then to Wetmore riding past penitentiary and another penitentiary.   Soon I was going south in beautiful southern Colorado and looking at the sangre de cristo mountains.  At Wetmore I turned into highway 96 and with a lot of descent and tailwind I made the 54 miles in 3 hours.  I meet t and l and Chelle at the city park in pueblo for a snack and drink.  It was starting to heat up so made a quick stop before I was on my way through peublo and onto my final 21 miles to Fowler.  By the time I got there it was 103 degrees.  I saw Chelle and had her get me some Gatorade then had Loren get me some cold water and a cold hanker chief.  I caught a ride for 28 miles to La Junta Colorado where I met my dad and LaDonna for lunch then to the motel for a swim in the pool.  Still too hot I rested in the room with the AC on high.  For dinner we went to a restaurant called Mexico City and it was awesome.  Everyone was so friendly.  Just as we were going to leave a storm blew through so we sat in the restaurant and waited it out.  A friendly local man bought us a round of beers  and we chatted about Colorado and the bike ride.  It was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment