Friday, August 12, 2016

August 12 day 54

Day 54.  Cave in Rock Illinois to Sebree Kentucky.  54 miles

Well it has been some time since I have blogged.  Getting though Kansas and through Missouri and Illinois, we stayed at a lot of state parks that did not offer wi fi.  So since I blogged last I will summarize below:

Kansas: hot and got hotter as we pushed east.  It also became more beautiful terrain as we went east and the state parks are awesome.  It also remained quite windy out of the east south east which started to take a toll on my spirits.  Luckily my sister and Loren kept me going and my spirits up.   Fort Scott on the Kansas/Missouri border was a really cool town.  Met a woman there who was from Texas that started a winery.  Wines were good and we bought a bottle.

Missouri:  is hilly, hot and very humid.  But the people are very nice.  The gem of the state was st. James where there was a great winery and brewery where we met some very cool people.  But the hills getting from st Joe state park to the Mississippi River were tough.  But then I crossed into Illinois which was so exciting.

Illinois:  is hilly, hot and very humid.  Yes this is the theme for the last several hundred miles.  So this requires very early starts and a race against the clock to beat the heat index.

Yesterday our older sister, Jodie, and her husband Steve and there son nick met up with us.  Nick rode with me today and it started by boarding the 6am ferry across the Ohio River and landed us into Kentucky.  Hilly ride but not that bad cause we had some cloud cover.  So far Kentucky is beautiful.  Tonight we are staying at the baptis church so we can all sleep in some AC.  It is still hot and humid!

3 comments: